Big Idea: I will understand meal and manner differ by country and time period. I will also understand how letters, diaries and newspapers can help us learn about past events like Thanksgiving. PRIMARY SOURCES.
1. What Kids Around the World Eat For Lunch.
Touch Down/ Take Off – if you would eat this.
United Kingdom, United States, Cuba, Norway, Nigeria,
France, Russia, Mexico, Japan, Phillipines, India, Korea
2. We need to have good manners – what ever we are offered. Especially at Thanksgiving.
Read these stories
Mind Your Manners – B.B. Wolf
Special Word: ETIQUETTE
How do Dinosaurs eat their Food
3. Test your Table Manners
4. What was the first Thanksgiving Like? What did they eat?
Kagan structure — random selector
5. Google Slide on Thanksgiving – Introducing Primary Sources.
6. If Time – Do Unto Otters and Food For Thought
Dressing a Turkey
Big Idea: I will learn that diaries, letters and newspapers can help me understand events. Primary Sources – Thanksgiving meal and manners.
Learning Objectives: Students learn about the first Thanksgiving and the real food of the time period. They will be introduced to primary sources and a time line.
Performance Task: storytelling, google slide, song, short video – if time an online activity
Storytell: Mind Your Manners BB Wolf [ Sierra], How do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food [ Yolen/ Teague]
if time Non Fiction: Food for Thought [Robbins] & Picture Book Do Unto Otters
1.Extention: What do you normally eat at Thankgiving
2.Technology- google slide, [if time online actity relating to thanksgiving.] Safari Montage Interactive Video
3. Higher Level thinking skills – how can we know what happened over 400 years ago
4. Kagan: Take Off / Touch down with Foods.