Neil Armstrong Is My Uncle and Other Lies …

Watch the Trailer

What did you think about this book and why?  Responding with why you like the book or not,  helps other readers and creates better conversations.

• Please be respectful. 
  • Students first names or initials only.
  • You do not have to fill out email or website to blog.
  • You do have to fill in the spam word.
9 comments on “Neil Armstrong Is My Uncle and Other Lies …
  1. M. Harclerode says:

To Diplomat Student
    Never be sorry for how you feel about a book. As long as you read the whole book – your opinion is yours. Just keep reading all kinds of books and be open.

2. A Diplomat Student says:

I really didn’t like this book it was just to boring no offense Mrs.Harcalode I am sorry

3. Mary Martin says:

Mary Martin
    Professor Bruemmer
    English 151
    December 20th 2012
    Literary Evaluation
    Young readers and adults alike will enjoy Nan Marino’s novel Neil Armstrong Is My Uncle & Other Lies Muscle Man McGinty Told Me. Her writing will make you laugh and cry in the same paragraph. The characters come to life because the book is written with such intricate detail and dialogue the reader winds up feeling like they may once have lived on Ramble Street. The story is told in first person by the main character Tamara, a thirteen year old girl who’s entire world depends on what happens next in her suburban neighborhood, which has the effect of getting the young reader to be able to picture themselves as the character and stay interested in the story.
    During the summer of 1969 many historical events were taking place: the Vietnam War, Woodstock, and the First Moon Landing by Neil Armstrong and Apollo 11. Nan Marino is able to integrate events of historical proportion to the everyday happenings of a group of ordinary young kids. The author incorporates a smooth transition from the sensitive struggles of growing up, learning to laugh about the triumphs and tribulations and not take yourself so seriously. This style keeps the reader intrigued and waiting in anticipation for the next turn of events.
    “That’s one small step for man: one giant leap for mankind” were the very first words spoken after landing a man on the moon. This quote will go down in history. On the infamous night of the landing on the moon, do you know where you were and what you were doing? Young teenage readers can relate to the merging of historical events with significant occasions in their own lives and how these particular times influence our relationships with our friends, family, and community.
    Nan Marino is a librarian with degrees in library science and educational technology, her knowledge of words, and her background in books, gives her a unique ability and special insight to the process of creating a good story. She grew up in New York and now lives at the Jersey Shore. This is her first novel. Her next book Hiding Out at the Pancake Palace will be on the bookshelves in April of 2013. It’s sure to be a hit, and will definitely be on my “to read” list.

References
    Marino,Nan. Neil Armstrong Is My Uncle & Other Lies Muscle Man McGinty Told Me
    New York: Roaring Book Press, 2009. Print

4. CS says:

i didnt really like the book

5. Nicole says:

My teacher read this book last year it was some parts were sad and some were funny.

6. Jesse says:

I wish this historical figure was my uncle

7. jayden L says:

this book was asome

8. jaydem says:

this book was soo cool

9. kaitlyn says:

loved this book